Monday, March 29, 2010

Lead Post for 3/30

Although this may not be the purpose of Levy's argument in "Pigs in Training" (I'm guessing she is condemning oral sex amongst young teens in general), I find it particularly interesting that it is only boys who are receiving oral sex and not girls...it's completely one sided. As for the swiffer-girl, I remember hearing of this story when I was in highschool. I just thought it was an urban legend and can't believe it's true! On page 148, Levy mentions the phrase "hooking up," the words ambiguity may lead people to think promiscuity is more common and thus indulge in it themselves. The problem is hooking up could mean anything from a simple kiss on the dance floor to full on sex and anywhere in between. Levy also brings up the point of looking sexy vs. actually doing sexual things on 150--this once again causes ambiguity for young teens who may think sexual behavior is the norm because of the judgements they make from people's dress or the media. Levy makes a good point on page 151--boys will like girls no matter what they wear; its the girls who are "distracted by competition to look and seem sexy."

Brownmiller asserts that rape is an act of violence, that the typical rapist is not a "victim" as Freud defines it nor a psycho or loner. That rape is not an impulsive act of lust but something that is "planned" (71%) (pg 279).

Addressing Walker's article, why is it that women are told not to fight back because it will make the criminal more angry. What really is the better thing to do?-fight back or do what the rapist says? This is a tricky question and I am really curious as to what the answer is.

Morgan's story was beyond upsetting. The title was especially powerful, why are women who have been raped called a survivor? Yes, its not as bad as losing ones life, but still their lives are changed forever. Morgan's story made me wonder whether the third rape happened in a college setting which then led me to think about the speak out at Colgate last semester. For those in class that attended the speak out...how did it affect you?


4 comments:

  1. I also found Levy's condemnation of oral sex for teens interesting. I know she argues that this sex is a product of the portrayal and push of sex, but how can she condemn these teen's sexual exploration? She herself states that other cultures encourage sexual activity at an earlier stage than ours and that leads to a deeper understanding of the responsibilities associated with sex, not more promiscuity.

    I was very disturbed by Brownmiller's report that rape is most often done by a group in a gang rape scenario. The namelessness of it all is terribly frightening. I easily see myself, as Morgan did, playing cards as the only woman in a group of men. Am I at risk?

    The question of rape by the anonymous man has also kept me from following a lot of my dreams. Following Colgate, I wanted to join and was accepted to The Peace Corps. However, my family was too afraid that I would be put in harm's way, specifically that I would be raped, and simply would not support me in this decision. My mother requested that I take a self defense class but at the end of the day would not approve of the decision. My parents were honest and said that if I had been I boy this would not have been a problem. Now, they were protecting me but my options are still limited because I am a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading Levy's chapter, "Pigs in Training," I couldn't help but think of my middle school days. The same kind of regulations on exposed skin were imposed at Carrie Palmer Weber Middle School, for girls prided themselves on showing their bra straps and midriffs. In fact, I remember a popular style of headband that was made from cutting the tops off a pair of Victoria's Secret underwear. Similar to the adolescents to which Levy refers, girls wore "'tank tops with little Abercrombie skirts'" (142), for the very years she cites, 1999, 2002, were the benchmark years of my middle school career. I knew that being skanky meant being popular, and though I did not understand this concept, I remember feeling the pressure to conform, to wear my underwear on my head. I spent my babysitting money on Abercrombie short shorts and tanks, for my mom would not support their ads strewn with nakedness and sexuality- she wouldn't enter the store with me. In searching for pictures, (try this one: http://homepage.mac.com/gyamane/blog/abercrombie-fitch3a.jpg), I came across a similar point of view, so check it out if you have time: http://motherscribe.blogspot.com/2009/03/will-they-wonder-why-we-didnt-stop-make.html

    I agree with Levy in her belief that this culture of meaningless self-assumed sexuality derives from the confusing nature of sex and the inability of our nation's schools to properly education, for "there is not a single federally funded program to promote comprehensive sex ed that covers both abstinence and contraception, despite the fact that more than 75 percent of parents would like their children to be taught about condoms, abortion, sexual orientation, how to deal with the pressure to have sex, and how to deal with sex itself" (157). It is high time that sex ed curriculum be altered to include these concepts, for if anything, Levy's chapter points out the negative consequences of leaving today's teens misinformed, or uninformed, about sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Regan’s post and found particular interest in her discussion about the phrase “hooking up.” I agree that there is a problem with the term, leading to vagueness. I came across this article (http://www.boston.com/yourlife/relationships/articles/2007/02/13/hooking_up_is_the_rage_but_is_it_healthy/?page=1) , which discusses this emerging term of “hooking up” and the implications it has on society. The article argues that gone are the days of old-fashioned boyfriends with whom you go out to dinner with often, and instead we have now entered a world of “hookups” where “vagueness is its hallmark” (Boston 2007). I think Meltz goes a bit to far in her argument that the “hook up culture” can lead to depression, alcohol abuse and other emotional problems but she does make an interesting point that children today get more information about mechanics of sex and not about marriage and love. I think that if we have more open discussions with youth we can inform them of how to make the best decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hook-up culture is apparent in almost every aspect of life at Colgate, if the hook-up culture includes that way that students dress, and everywhere else for that matter. But both men and women try to dress nice when attending class, going out in the evening, or even going to the library. And yes, boys/men will like women no matter what they are wearing but by wearing stylish clothing can help excentuate a woman's appearance and make her more appealing. Don't get too fired up at me about this because it also works the other way as well.

    ReplyDelete