Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lead Post for 4/1: Taken with a grain of salt.

I was strongly disappointed by the Crenshaw article. She set out to explore "the race and gender dimensions of violence against women of color" but spent the entire article confirming stereotypes of domestic violence, berating white policy makers and institutions that fail to help women of color because they are simply ill-equip to handle them (page 1). I learned nothing new and felt defensive throughout the entire article. In the example of a shelter not helping a woman because she did not speak English, Crenshaw condemn the shelter for not taking care of the woman. If the shelter itself would not be able to help her, why should it be responsible to do so? The shelter should be able to contact other shelters that may be better able to assist her, but the shelter itself is not at fault. This is a constant theme I am seeing in a lot of humanitarian aid work; if an individual organization knows it cannot assist a specific population so does not try, it should not be reprimanded. Instead, the system that exists to oppress the population and the lack of support for that specific population should be addressed. It does no good to attack do-gooders for not being do-everything-gooders.

The Steinem article was equally infuriating. (I guess I'm feeling sassy tonight.) I do not think that those few anecdotal pieces of violence denote a real sample of the reasons for "teen" and/or white murders. Each of those convicts are clearly facing more serious issues than being too supreme. I see how they take their place in social hierarchy as legitimatizing their actions, but I do not think it is the root of their issues. I think these people were clearly messed up from the start and used their social location to push their own agenda's forward. When Steinem discusses changing the gender of the teen murders to female, she points to a very basic notion that an "unmarked" status is male. Changing their gender will mark them and bring a conversation of gender to the table but this point does not further her argument. While I feel guilty disagreeing with a woman like Steinem, I have to say that she lost me with this article. Here is a picture of her as a playboy bunny!

Although, the article about G.I. sexual abuse confirms Steinem's argument about men asserting there supremacy. In most of the cases discussed, the men were of a higher or equal office in the military than the women they harassed. I also found it interesting that men were less likely to report an incident, which relates to the point I made last class that sexual harassment can, and does, go both ways. Again, the officer who stalked Captain White was a serial aggressor who could then, maybe, be discounted in the same way I discounted the murders Steinem discusses. Committing such a series of attacks leaves me to believe that these people have serious issues with their supremacy status and are not the common byproduct of our current cultural norms. While I do not think they should be disregarded all together, I do not think they proved adequate evidence for claims like Steinem tries to make. The film also added an interesting light to the story but my feelings remain the same.

The Living and Fighting Alongside Men article was the only article I really agreed with. Granted it was the only one with a positive message, but I felt it was more true than the others. I was intrigued that all of the women proved themselves through their performance and did not expect to be treated differently because they were women. They did perform better than some men, one officer said he had relived men but never women from their posts, which confirms the old notion that for women to be equal to men they must be better than men. Overall the women seemed to be accepted into the armed forces because they acted as if they were already welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, Lindsey! I appreciate your critical readings of all of these articles, and I think you raise some valid points. Your issue with Crenshaw's condemnation of a shelter is a good one. I wonder, though, if we might read her frustration as not only being with the shelter, but with a larger system that doesn't offer resources to those women who need it most? You're right: this is not necessarily the shelter's fault. Yet the tale of the shelter does remind us of the birdcages in which many immigrant women and women of color find themselves. The "ways out" we as a society provide for victims of domestic violence are not necessarily accessible to a large proportion of women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for posting so late--I had a delayed flight and no internet access while out of town except for email via my phone. So, here's my post...

    I was especially interested in Steinem's "Supremacy Crimes" because I just recently read a book on Columbine by Dave Cullen. In the media at the time of the Columbine shootings these two white, heterosexual, upper middle class males were portrayed as outcasts so as to find a "reason" for the killings. Cullen, however, after great investigation paints the real portrait of these two killers in his book Columbine. In actuality, these two killers were just acting out on their feelings as superiority. These two killers are just the way Steinem describes the average serial killer. In actuality, the two killers had many friends at school, they got girls, and they went to prom. According to Cullen, hey did not go on a killing spree because they were picked on and wanted revenge, but rather, because they saw themselves as superior "because they can kill" (steinem 1).

    This idea of the white male acting out their superiority with violence goes along with our class discussion on rape last Tuesday. Rape is an act of control, of putting one down to have power over them...not an act of sexual impulse--this seems to be a similar trend in mass murders. The teens may not be as "troubled" as the news depicts them. The depiction of a "troubled teen" is merely a coping device because humans cannot fathom why these acts of violence would occur.

    ReplyDelete